Wednesday 4 March 2009

Tombstone........Over My Dead Body!!

Another lovely start to the day....sun was shining, not too chilly...a little blustery but nothing to be worried about. I got talking to a couple of guys in the hotel this morning....they were both on Honda Goldwings and doing the reverse journey that I had done over the last couple of days....heading for Alamogordo and Carlsbad Caverns on a 4 day run out of Arizona.












I took Route 90 southwest, jumped on I10 for a short hop and then off onto Route 80 to Rodeo, New Mexico and then into Arizona. I started out with similar scenery to the last couple of days....but after heading towards mountains for a while and crossing I came out the other side to just flat land stretching for miles in every direction.






Not the most interesting of terrains I must admit as the road just seems to stretch for miles in straight lines with nothing of interest to see......but eventually I find myself in Rodeo. I thankfully find a gas station (from the dark ages) and can keep going into Arizona.













no need to pre-pay with credit cards here....









Apache Surrender Monument





Smoke from a wildfire......i think!







The wind starts to pick up a little as the day progresses and I am headed for Tombstone via Bisbee. Bisbee looks like some huge mine/construction site when you first approach from the south and after taking a couple of photos of the earthworks I had dismissed the place as just that and then around a couple more bends down in Tombstone Canyon is the town of Bisbee proper....a lovely old town full of galleries and coffee shops (not a Starbucks in sight) with lots of houses tucked into the hills. (for a good first impression....enter from the north!)
















the sign reads....'Scenic View' and points to this fence! The run-in to Bisbee.














And so, onto Tombstone.....famous for the lawman Wyatt Earp gunning down the Clantons at the O.K. Corral......well I was really looking forward to seeing the real thing but I might as well have have been in Disneyland.......in fact I wouldn't have been surprised to see Mickey Mouse acting out the gunfight to the delight of the cheering tourists.














some of the grave markers in Boot Hill

I didn't stay around too long and headed north to get on the I10 going east this time to hook up with the 191 (north) although the last couple of hours of the day were not enjoyable at all as I was fighting some difficult cross-winds all the way......was glad to call it a day in a town called Safford.

No comments:

Post a Comment