Tuesday 24 March 2009

Route 66: Kingman to Oatman

From the Hoover Dam I made my way south to Kingman to follow Route 66 for a while. I was heading for Oatman, southwest of Kingman. The road itself started off fairly predictably with long straights and desert landscapes leading to distant mountains in pretty much every direction.









































The road started to climb towards the Sitgreaves Pass (3600 ft)......the bends were tight and the road dipped and curved but I must admit the road was in such poor condition that progress was fairly pedestrian and considered.


The scenery was lovely and I was constantly stopping to take in the view and get the camera out. Ended up chatting with a couple who were driving through and also stopping to take pics (with the same camera as myself!). The woman at one point just grabbed my camera and insisted on taking my photo as 'I must not be in any of my own pics'!!!










ahaa...so that is what I look like!





And then into Oatman.....an old prospecting town.....I had passed signs warning road users to watch out for donkeys/mules a few miles back down the road and thought no more about them....and must admit I was surprised to meet the animals in the town rather than out in the hills.




There were Burros everywhere you looked on the one street that makes up Oatman.....there were even a couple of doorways showing burros on the inside of the buildings.


























After Oatman I detoured off Route 66 for about 20 miles to find a hotel for the night in Bullhead City.

No comments:

Post a Comment