Saturday 7 March 2009

Eat my dust......I had to! Canyon De Chelley

Friday morning was cold, drizzly and while still windy it was nowhere near as bad as the afternoon before.......the wind was coming from a southerly direction so I decided to take the 191 north and try to keep the wind behind me. I must admit that as interesting as the 191 was yesterday the section today was pretty boring......straight for miles running through flat land with only dozens of tumbleweeds coming at me from the side to keep me awake...... I tried to go west at one point but the wind was too strong and so I stuck with the 191.







Got myself to Chinle to visit the Canyon De Chelley (pronounced Chez (or Shay if you are Irish!) I believe) which was pretty impressive but again the wind was howling past......there were times when I was struggling to keep my footing when standing. A number of people have said to me that they prefer Chelley to the Grand Canyon! Chinle is a Navajo Nation town so the majority of people are Native American. Not sure what these guys teach their dogs but I must have passed half a dozen dead on the side of the road (didn't think anyone needed pictures of that!).


















Leaving Chinle I was faced with 40+ dust filled miles.....it was like heavy fog....could see very little but it was simply dust whipped up by the wind. Eventually made it to the Arizona/Utah border and as the wind subsided I made my way to the town of Mexican Hat for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment