Tuesday 10 March 2009

The Grand Canyon.....


I guess it was a little chilly last night




Well I was right......about 200 yards from the hotel this morning and I had to switch to the reserve fuel tank......thankfully the gas station in the park (which is closed for winter) accepted my card at the pump and I was motoring again.

It was a pretty nice day all round......fresh but not freezing which was nice. There are 40+ miles of Grand Canyon to drive round on the southern edge although I was only able to access about 25 miles of it as the other section was closed to the public (unless I wanted to take a bus tour for hours on end).

I must admit the Canyon is impressive but as I went from one viewing spot to another I kept thinking the view was pretty much the same wherever I was standing......









































So I left the park via the southern exit and headed for Williams.....I had originally planned on going west from Flagstaff into Nevada but have changed my plans.......have decided to head further south from Flagstaff through Sedona and into southern California.
I want to enjoy the ride up the California Coast without worrying about my departure date so I shall do the coast-run first and then use whatever time left on my trip within California.
As part of the original plan I intended to ride a little section of the historic Route 66 west of Flagstaff (roughly from Williams to Kingman) so I decided to do that section of road today and then cut back to Flagstaff on the I-40.
Route 66, or at least the bit I was on (about 90 miles), was pretty boring......long straights with not much going on......a few small towns trying to survive by selling as much '66' tat as possible.











Route 66....

1 comment:

  1. Carl,
    First of all, great blog! This is exactly what i plan to do on my trip this summer. Thanks for giving me your advice and encouragement on the VTX forum.
    How are you uploading pictures from the road? Do you have a mobile connection or are you relying on internet cafe's?
    Where do you sleep at night? I plan to camp.

    ReplyDelete