Saturday 21 March 2009

From the Coast to Lone Pine...

San Simeon was grey and wet this morning with the promise of stong winds across California as the day progressed. It was wet enough for one of the housekeeping staff in the hotel to put a towel over my saddle when she came into work.....which I only found out about when I saw her in the breakfast room....was very thoughtful of her!
I took Highway 46 east from the coast and within minutes was in lush green farmland.....beautiful rolling hills......it was lovely.































And just as I was enjoying the scenery I come out of a bend and find more of the California coastal fog I have been experiencing......




Thankfully, I dropped down out of the fog pretty quickly and could resume my sightseeing!
I made my way past Bakersfield and on to Tehnachapi before turning north on the 14 towards Lone Pine.....which will be my starting point tomorrow for my visit to Death Valley. The route to Tehnachapi had some stunning scenery on both sides of the highway.....was breathtaking! And all of a sudden you come through the hills and immediately the other side you are back in a desert landscape as you approach Mojave.











The Eastern Sierra...




...Red Rock Canyon











The wind really did start to build and was really difficult for the last 50 miles or so to the town of Lone Pine which I was relieved to find was actually a town. The pics below are showing you what is across the street from my hotel.





























































No comments:

Post a Comment