Wednesday 11 March 2009

Curves, Climbs and Mountain Grades

I made a late start to the day.....had a bit of a lazy morning and it was lovely to walk out this morning and feel some serious heat from the sun.....even had to shed a couple of layers for the first time in a while.

I have to say a big thank you to DapperDave from http://www.vtxcafe.com/ (an owners forum for Honda VTXs) for telling me about the route I took today (and a whole lot of other helpful pointers about biking in Arizona).

Today I left Flagstaff and headed south on Route 89A through Sedona and on to Yarnell, finishing up in Wickenburg. 89A was a lovely run......plenty of curves and climbs through forests and canyons.

I must say that no matter how much I have enjoyed a place I think the best feeling of the day is getting clear of whatever town I am in and being back on the open road.....always puts a smile on my face.

Pics from (the top of) Oak Creek Canyon.....just south of Flagstaff on the way to Sedona:













you can see the road as it snakes down the hill










how miserable do I look?



just seen the pic above - lesson learned....no more pics of me, honest!
And now from the bottom (well almost) of the Canyon.






















Just south of Jerome......





South of Prescott......nice looking town!

an example of the roads I encountered today.....






It was a pretty good day......made it to Wickenburg....first time I have had problems finding a hotel......it is only a small town but it was manic tonight......found a nice place eventually (4th hotel of trying).

1 comment:

  1. Carl you are begining to sound like Lee Marvin in Paint your wagon---The only time a town looks better is when i am looking back.
    Or maybe you are a real Irish traveller after all.
    Stay safe P.

    ReplyDelete