Monday 9 February 2009

A Bunch of Keys.....

Key Largo to Key West has got to be one of the most picturesque routes that I am ever likely to encounter.......just a series of bridges linking one small island to the next over the most gorgeous waters you can imagine......and it goes on for over 100 miles.


I left Popps Motel just after 7am and headed out of Key Largo (Key Largo was where they made the movie 'The African Queen' but they didn't make the movie 'Key Largo' there!!!).




Islamorada at 0715








Lower Matecumbe Key


















A couple of hours later I stop for breakfast and do the last 30 miles into Key West.....the most southerly point of the USA without getting your feet wet!


How is it that sea-side tourist towns all feel the same wherever they are in the world?.....the author Ernest Hemingway lived here for a while....his house and the descendants of his cats are still in evidence.


It is a nice enough town but the sun was baking, there were tourists milling about everywhere and you couldn't move so I decided to get back on the road and retrace my steps (you have to...there is only one road in and out of the Keys).









You know it is a warm day when you are riding along at 60+mph with no gloves on and all you feel is warm air on your hands.....of course I didn't think of it at the time but I now have lovely strips of sunburn (nothing to worry about) across the back of my hands.

I head back along the Keys to Key Largo and head north towards Miami.......it was a mistake though to try and get through evening traffic......took Route 1 and the more scenic alternative when available A1A though Miami Beach and beyond until I hit Fort Lauderdale for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment