Thursday 12 February 2009

A flock of seagulls........and no, not the 80's pop band!

St. Augustine was grey and overcast this morning.....there had been quite a lot of overnight rain by the looks of things.....but one hotel towel later the bike was all dry and ready for the off!

Decided I would take a westerly route inland and across the state.....didn't want to get too far north should the dealership call me to say my registration plate had arrived.....and this way I could chase the blue skies rather than risk the grey ones along the east coast.
Eventually found myself going west on Route 100 (which is not even on my map) which took me through some out-of-the-way places.....small towns.....farmlands......it was very green and the roads weren't busy at all so could just relax and let the miles tick off.
Decided to head for a little dot on the map called Steinhatchee........knew nothing more than that until I got here this afternoon.




Route 51 takes you across the 'Historic Suwannee River' on the way to Steinhatchee
Steinhatchee (pronounced Steenhatchee by the locals......get it right!) is a very small traditional fishing town which it seems the developers and tourists have found in recent times (used to have a few problems with drugdealers and was known as 'a narcotics town with a fishing problem', according to an aged local I bumped into!).....although it is out-of-season right now so it is pretty damned quiet.
Found the local bar.....there is a motel next door which is where I am and a restaurant across the street so that is me pretty much done for the night.............just hope the locals are friendly!!!







woman with bread and a flock of seagulls is never a good combination.....







from the balcony of my room.....
It turns out that my official licence plate and paperwork is ready and waiting in the dealership and just like at home.....I had to get in touch with them to ask the question when even though they said they would call me! So I shall head off early tomorrow and return to Winter Garden and then head northwards so I can make my way our of Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment