Thursday 5 February 2009

Nanoo Nanoo...Mork calling Orson...come in Orson

Well I took the bike out yesterday for an extended run.....just to get some hours in, get used to riding her and see what a few hours on the thing would feel like.

Took myself off on Route 50 due East to Titusville on the coast and then north to Daytona Beach. The sun was shining but the temperature stayed quite low.....about 11 - 12 C.....so it got a bit chilly after a couple of hours.

I even found myself in some 65 mph speed limits which were a little windy but the bike handles fine......you do get some buffetting but nothing too bad and the weight of the bike helps to keep her steady in cross winds.

I was happy enough on the seat for 3 hours before my ass started telling me to pull over and stretch my legs.......which brought me to Daytona Beach.

Daytona Beach is where they did a lot of speed trials and motor races before they found the salt flats and they have little toll booths every half mile or so to allow you bring your car or truck onto the sands and drive along......10mph speed limit and there are lanes identified.....and it is a 2-way system.......so watch out if you are ever walking your dog or going for a paddle on the beach there!


Daytona Beach:


The beach did look great but it was bloody freezing with the wind coming in off the Atlantic so I made a quick exit.....will see the Atlantic again next week further south and hopefully it will be a little warmer then.
So I spent the day on the bike and had no real problems.....was glad to get back to the hotel though. My hand is aching (my left hand people.....keep it clean!!) from the heavy/stiff clutch....it is a real effort after a couple of hours to pull the lever so I might see if I can adjust it.....or my fingers and hand will simply get used to it and I'll never struggle to open the jar of peanut butter again!
It is meant to stay cool here again today and tomorrow and then warm up (22 - 24C) over the weekend so I think I shall break out the all weather gear today and resort back to the jeans and light jacket on Saturday.
p.s. A guy in a gas station came up to me, stared at the bike and said "That is one mean-ass goodlooking bike! You have a great day sir." before hopping into his truck and leaving.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time just cruising around. The sunshine and blue skies in your pictures look great, the only similarity here is the white Sands of Daytona beach and the White Snow as I look out of my office window :(
    Bring the sunshine back with you.
    Ruth
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost feel sorry for you----yeh right
    Stay safe and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete