Thursday 26 February 2009

On to Marfa....

Well once again we had a cool, misty, grey start to the day in Del Rio as I headed west on highway 90. There is an Immigration Control Checkpoint just west of Del Rio which I wasn't aware of and had to stop, show my passport and tell them what I was doing......they were very polite and respectful and had me on my way in no time.
You can't go more than about 5 miles along the route without passing a Border Patrol vehicle of one sort or another.
I took a few pictures as I passed the Amistad Reservoir but must admit there isn't a great deal to see given the mist and greyness of the day.




So off I go......very little traffic on the 90 and I hit a traffic jam........a red light ahead due to some roadworks......well the bike was sitting in the same spot for over an hour without one vehicle moving in either direction....I just stuck it on the stand and went for a wander to stretch my legs........some major construction work being undertaken on a bridge over the Pecos River.....





Underway again after the enforced rest-stop, the sun came out about 11am and things started to warm up.........people had told me this route is really boring (there REALLY is nothing there for miles around) but I quite enjoyed it......you could open the bike up....very little traffic......and the scenery wasn't too bad as far as a first-time visitor goes!

















The last hour or so was more difficult as the cross winds got very strong indeed. Actually I was just pulling out of a gas station about 20 miles from my final destination when I heard a shout behind me....I look around and this elderly man is coming over to me gesturing with his hands. No idea what is wrong or what I have done......I turn off the engine and flip up the visor. He puts his hand on my shoulder and says to me....'Sorry for holding you up but you need to watch out for that wind......its bad....so you gotta be careful!'......lol....I just thanked him for his concern and assured him I would take care.

Arrived safely in Marfa and booked into the Hotel Paisano for a couple of nights.....will use it as my base for exploring the area tomorrow and maybe Saturday. Hotel Paisano was where James Dean, Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor and the rest of the cast and crew stayed while making the movie 'Giant' in this part of the world. There isn't a great deal to this town I must admit........tiny but charming nonetheless. I don't even have wireless internet in my room so I am downstairs sitting outside next to the fountain in the courtyard.....and now one of the guys from the restaurant has asked me if I want anything from the bar so he is off to get me a bottle of Heineken from the cooler! (it is a hard life I know!).......I could get used to this!







Presidio County Court House in Marfa

No comments:

Post a Comment