Thursday 2 April 2009

Lake Tahoe (well the southwest corner of it at least)

I took the 49 north from Sonora to Placerville and then the 50 east to South Lake Tahoe today.....a nice run although I must admit I didn't feel great for the first part of the day so I just wanted an easy time along the way.

The sun was shining and while not as warm as the previous few days I was more than comfortable on the bike. The approach to Lake Tahoe climbed to over 7,300ft and the snow returned as the chill in the air increased. The wind was also starting to pick up as I climbed but again nothing to worry about.


on the climb towards Lake Tahoe






























And then once over the summit the road started to drop down to the lake itself and as I came round a bend I caught my first views of the lake and I let out a 'wow'......I don't think the photos do the view justice but the next 3 pics are what I was looking at.








Lake Tahoe is about 6300ft above sea level and the road drops down to the southern edge and the town of South Lake Tahoe where I turned west and headed for Tahoe City. The road runs round the shore and is full of twists and dips and cliff-edge hairpins to begin with....with teasing glimpses of the waters through the trees.























So I eventually arrive in Tahoe City and decide that I will stop here for the night....I fill the bike at a gas station and as I go inside to ask the attendant about hotels I overhear a guy at the counter telling the attendant that there is a bike outside with Florida plates on it and he starts smiling and dismissing the idea that the bike was actually ridden from Florida.
I tell the guy the bike from Florida is mine and ask him what the question is and after some mumbling and muttering he asks where I have come from. I explain the trip and he cannot apologise enough for doubting me (his words not mine) and so we walk out together all chat and I find out all I need to know about hotels and bars from him instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment